Sunday, April 24, 2011

Seal Sense: What is behind all of these green seals?

I don't know about you but I am never sure what to think when I see that a product is approved by a green seal.  What does the seal actually mean?  Has the company just paid a large sum for the honor of affixing the seal to their label?  Perhaps I am just a cynic?
I have decided to find out.  I am going to be reviewing different green seals to help both myself and my readers navigate green products.  I hope to answer these questions: Who is offering the rating?  What do they look for?  How do they prove their results?  How much does the company pay?  How long have they been around for?  What are their standards?  As time passes my rating scale will develop more refinement but these questions get to the heart of the matter.

Is the seal of value in making green choices?

If any readers know of any questionable or fantastic green seals please forward the information to myself at sho.macrae@gmail.com.