Saturday, March 12, 2011

Don't Buy This For Home: Mr. Sisal

I have an arch-nemesis who I call Mr. Sisal...

Mr. Sisal is friends with a family I clean for.  Their house is generally impeccable.  They are the only couple I know who can handle a one-year-old, a puppy and an all-white kitchen.  I clean once a week and honestly it is pretty easy with the exception of having to deal with Mr. Sisal.

Sisal is a fibre from the agave plant that is used to make carpets, rugs, cording, etc.  It is strong, durable and environmentally-friendly so it is used for a wide variety of products.  I hate it.

In the middle of the all-white kitchen, Mr. Sisal sits like a lump and he is impossible to deal with.  He is huge, I have only managed to drag him outside and beat him a couple times since working with these clients.  The process of rolling him up and dragging him outside is exhausting and frankly it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Despite my weekly broom attacks, Mr. Sisal is continually exhaling dust.  I don't know where it all comes from because he doesn't get any lighter or any less dusty.  Every week I roll him up and find that he has hidden a pile of dust beneath him.  Why does he do this?  And where does it come from every week?  I don't know.

Take my advice.  Buy a washable rug or a small rug that is easy to take outside and beat.  Whatever you do, don't go for sisal.  It is like hell in rug form.