Friday, August 12, 2011

Product Review: Scotch-Brite Grout Scrubber

I am like a kid in a candy shop with new cleaning tools and products.  Browsing in Home Depot the other day trying to hunt down what seems to be an elusive ice cream machine, I walked by a rack with a new cleaning tool from Scotch-Brite - a grout scrubber.  Now those who read my blog regularly will know that I am slightly obsessed with grout - keeping it clean, being frustrated by it, etc.  When I saw this new product, I thought to myself: Perhaps here is my solution.
After using it for the first time yesterday, I have mixed feelings.

Positives: Very easy to grip.  The grout scrubbing part comes encased in a large foam handle making it very easy on the hands.  As a person who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis with my hands being the most affected, I appreciate tools that are easy on the hands.  Targeted cleaning.  The design of the tool does allow maximum pressure and grout focus for the least effort.  Nice and scratchy.  I don't know how else to describe it other than nice and scratchy.  All-in-all a great effort.

Downsides: Started to wear down quickly.  I was using it in a huge bathroom with a lot of tiling and I noticed by the end it was already starting to wear down.  Considering that I only used it for a fraction of the tile, I found this disappointing.  Bad color choice.  I don't think that cleaning tools of this nature should come in white.  It just doesn't make sense.  A plastic scrub brush that picks up no color is one thing, a scrubby that picks up color is another.  As soon as I started to scrub at the brown grout, you guessed it - my scrubby turned brown.  Washing it in bleach later that night didn't do anything to improve the situation either.  I don't like using dirty-looking tools to clean, it just doesn't feel right.

Product Improvements: Create a tool with scrubby inserts that can be changed depending on the color of the grout and/or when they get worn down.  That would be much more environmentally friendly.  Making the scrubby out of biodegradable material would take it to a whole new level.  Then I think the product would be quite fantastic!