Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Taking it to the next level in green cleaning products

My last post sparked a few interesting emails and led to a fair amount of pondering.  I am proposing a challenge to manufacturers of green products.  Take it to the next level.  What do I mean by this?  Let me explain.
Cleaning products are generally environmentally-friendly.  There is little wastage and they account for a very small percentage of petrochemical refining.  Throw renewable sourcing into the mix and things are starting to look pretty good (and pretty green).  What I am interested in now is the energy used when refining the raw material into the chemical ingredient.  What practices are used?  Does the process consume little energy or a whole lot?  Is the refining process sustainable?  I want product manufacturers to really get serious about going and being green.

It is not enough anymore to throw baking soda into your bathtub scrub and call it green.  How was the baking soda made?  Is the source sustainable?  Does the refining company use efficient transportation to ship the product to the manufacturer?  I want to start seeing some hard data to back up these green claims from the ingredient sourcing and refining to the manufacturing process and packaging.